Creating Change, A Lost Art

Monday, March 16, 2015

Thoreau Quote

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." - Henry David Thoreau

I thought this was an interesting quote and I shared it in my private health & fitness group and I loved it so much I wanted to share it with all of you too. If we look at the common wants of people today they want RESULTS and they want them NOW. It doesn't matter if we're talking about health & fitness, money, business, love, etc. Just look at any marketing campaign and it will only illustrate my point even more.

The real problem is that this is our own fault and we've created it. We're like tiny babies screaming RESULTS RESULTS RESULTS... NOW NOW NOW. We must be our own parents and realize that  hard work and dedication can not be substituted and that it is the learning and growing process that leads to true change, not the end result. 

Allow me to prove my point.  

The easiest illustration that comes to mind is that of the man or woman who's broke and then one day wins the lottery. We all know how this story ends. They don't know how to handle their money and eventually fall back into the same boat they were in before, and in some cases worse then when they first started.

From an outsiders perspective this seems ridiculous. The question I always ask myself is, "How dumb can they be?" But the simple truth is this happens all the time. Maybe it's even happened to you. Ever lost some weight? Maybe you did a crash diet or detox, you lost 5 pounds and you're so excited about it! Then a month or two later you're up 7-10 pounds. What the hell? What happened?

The truth is if you want change YOU HAVE TO change. In both of these examples above the person (not their circumstances) never changed. In order to fully change, the change has to come from within. Just because your circumstances change doesn't mean that you've changed in anyway. 
foggy road
This has happened to me dozens of times but the most current story is of this past year and with my business. I joined a network marketing company and right away I was doing awesome. I rank advanced within the first month and was already pulling in an income. My upline was supportive and we were building a team together. Fast forward a few months a rock star of a new coach joins my team and she just "gets it." She's an overnight success and my business is growing at an incredibly rapid pace. Fast forward a few more months my upline quits and soon after my paycheck gets cut by two-thirds. This was a shock to say the least. 

I was sprinting up this mountain and BAM, I hit a wall. So why did this happen? What did I do wrong? The truth is that I wasn't changing at a pace fast enough to keep up with my success. I hadn't learned enough to make my business a success on my own, I was simply living off some awesome circumstances. 

When this happens it's defiantly a blow to the ole ego. It hurts. It sucks. Many times it's easiest to simply quit. It's easy to say, well this doesn't work and it's not my fault. This is the time I/You must remind yourself what your goals are and just how committed to them are you. 

You see I tried skipping a step. I tried reaching the destination and ignoring the journey (or at least the full journey). The truth is the journey is the destination. The lesson I learned which my hope you learned too is to stop trying to skip this step. Become a sponge. Your water is knowledge and experience. Only then will you truly keep what you've earned and be on the path to ultimate fulfillment. 

So whether it's business, your health, your relationships or anything else you can think of don't allow yourself to make these same mistakes. You can't lose 30 pounds without first losing 1 pound. You can't earn 1 million dollars without first earning $1. Maybe you can see the destination just ahead of you like I did but that doesn't mean it's time to sprint the last 100 yards. Remember, as Darrin Hardy says, "Success is just a series of small steps."
King Quote Staircase

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews

Like me on Facebook