Communication, through my eyes...

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This is a topic, or maybe a pet peeve of mine, that has been bothering me for a while so I wanted to take a few seconds to share my side of the story with you.  I think this topic would actually stir a decent amount of controversy but since my blog isn't that popular I think I'll be able to avoid most of that :)

I would like to share with you my thoughts on communication, and more specifically 'incorrect' communication.  What I mean by that is when someone spells something wrong, phrases something wrong, or even uses the wrong their, there, or they're.

I get called out on this all the time!  In most cases I hit enter before spell checking something or my phone auto corrects me and I don't even notice.  My question is this, does it matter?  I would say that 99% of the time that this happens, the people around me still know exactly what I'm trying to communicate to them.  But it almost always seems necessary for them to correct me and tell me I'm wrong.  Why?  

Fine, YOU'RE right, I am wrong.  But does telling me that I'm wrong actually help anything?  All YOU'RE doing is stroking YOUR ego for a few seconds and making me feel dumb and not want to be around you.  You still know what I'm trying to communicate to you, you get the point.  But instead of continuing on our conversation, which could potentially be enlightening for both of us, we have to stop in the middle of our thought process to deal with something, in my opinion, doesn't really matter.  My bad grammar isn't harming anyone, the world is still spinning and you still understand what I'm trying to say.  I guess I just don't get it.  In my opinion the people around me have thoughts and ideas I care about.  How they get that information to me is irrelevant.

Have you ever seen this example?
[I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too. ]

Look, us bad grammar-atics aren't trying to write books here, and in that rare case, we would make sure to hire someone to keep us in line.  It's my hope that any of you out there that like to correct people consider holding you tongue and allow them to communicate their thoughts to you.  In my case I always feel like my brain is spitting out ideas too fast and I don't have time to review and analyze each one of them, I just want to share!  My point is this, maybe by doing this we can more fully understand each other and our ideas rather then our seemingly inherent need to interrupt people and tell them our thoughts; of course learning to listen is a whole other topic.


Silence is golden, not this :)

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Total Pageviews

Like me on Facebook